What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate students) 2018

There are professors that research similar things at Ritsumeikan, Tokyo, Tsukuba and others so that's not a problem. Thank you for what you said, I'll go with what I know, it's interesting and important I'll just try to put a positive spin on it.
Good luck! :)

Thankyou @indojindesu I am wondering if I can write about my interest in Japan country in my ultimate goal. I wanna write about my interest in the country too.
You can include a brief paragraph on how your research is relevant to Japan. But the interest in culture and stuff can/should be mentioned in the interview. It would seem a bit odd if you mention that in your research proposal/study plan. Try and connect it to your research or save it for the interview. :)

Well thinking about it . It does seem odd to write that in research proposal. I just finished writing it and making a flow chart of my research process . Just need to send it now . Lets hope for the best
Thanks fo rall the info @indojindesu

Hi everybody ! I'm Madjala from Ivorry Coast and I'm ready to go to Japan . 😅
Thanks for this thread ! it is very helpul . I'm still filling my application form. The deadline is on 24th May .

Hello!! I have almost all the documents ready but there's something that concerns me about my health certificate, where it says describe the condition of lungs my physician just put normal, on impression of the applicant's heath he put "no need", and in the address he couldn't write it all in the space given so he continue underneath it, so am I nitpicking too much or do you think it should have a more lengthy description? and the address space is really tiny so I don't blame him but I wonder if the Embassy will see it the same way as me
Ah, so I've run into a roadblock (one of many, I'm sure). Looking for your advice!

I am proposing to do fieldwork research in Nagoya, but there aren't many advisors there who are confident that they can advise me thesis-wise (it's Golden Week so I may hear more after the break). However, Waseda has more a potential advisor who can advise my research thesis. I was originally going to have Nagoya as my first choice because of location, but travel wouldn't be too much of a problem. I have Nagoya, Waseda, and Doshisha as my three choices.

My question is: in my research proposal, which states I will do fieldwork in Nagoya, should I write something along the lines "If placed at Waseda, Professor so-and-so will advise and will travel for fieldwork... (once I get their solid yes)" and "If placed at Doshishia, etc etc..."? What are your thoughts?

mmm I think you should start by saying why is it that your research has to be in Nagoya and not anywhere else, after that you could write a note saying that depending on the university you are selected in transportation will be taken into account and discussed with your tutor or something along those lines.

Hi there,
I am currently working on the application paper for MEXT research scholarship program and I intend to apply for Master of Public health. One thing that is troubling me is the research plan and field of study. Do anyone know the sample format for writing the research plan?

I think this might help you

MEXT Field of Study Form | TranSenz: Expat Living in Japan

Hi! I would like to ask as to what is the preferred month of arrival in Japan? Should it be September or October? I am choosing between the two and I'm really confused on what is the difference between coming in September and October. Based on what I've researched, fall semester starts on the last week of September. Present scholars please help. Thanks a lot!

Hi! I would like to ask as to what is the preferred month of arrival in Japan? Should it be September or October? I am choosing between the two and I'm really confused on what is the difference between coming in September and October. Based on what I've researched, fall semester starts on the last week of September. Present scholars please help. Thanks a lot!
I am assuming you didnot choose April?
When I had applied , we were given two options, April and October 2017. So I just wrote October 2017.
According to the information I received from the Embassy, departure date is usually around last week of September and 1st week of October.

Hope this helps.

Oh! Another question: has anyone applied for MEXT as well as applied to the graduate programs directly, as a safety in case they are not chosen for MEXT?
Didnot see your post.
You can apply via university recommendation if you dont get through the Embassy recommendation way.
The university recommendation procedure starts in September/october.

wonder if the Embassy will see it the same way as me
You can scan the health certificate and email the Embassy asking if this is acceptable. If they dont reply, you could submit it anyway.
If there is some problem with it they can ask you to submit the document again.
Usually there is something wrong with some of the documents. Once you get through the interview stage they ask the selected applicants to re-submit some documents etc. (Happened with me)

I have a question about the recommendation letter. I sit possible for the person recommending you to post the letter directly to the embassy than directly to me ?

Hi guys, nice to meet you!
I plan to read the 2017 thread, but that will probably take a long time. In the meanwhile, I would like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind.
I have a master's degree, and I am not currently a research student. Can I still apply to the scholarship?
About the entrance to a master's or phd, I see that certain university have strict procedures and exams, and require you to study a lot to pass. What if I fail the entrance exam, or would just like to spend 2 years researching as a non-regular student? What is the requirement to succesfully complete the 2 year non-regular student researcher period, write a paper in an academic journal?

^ In the informative talks given by my embassy they told us that we enter as research students but we are supposed to move on into a doctoral or master program in the 2 years given to us with the status of research student, so we have around 4 opportunities to pass the admissions tests of the university, if we don't manage to do that, then after the 2 years are over we must return to our country

Thank you as always indojindesu!

Do you have to return any money if you fail to advance?
I also have another question, regarding the dormitories. Can you stay in a dormitory in the first year? Do you have to find a private accomodation in the following period? I wonder if the scholarship is enough...

Hi,
I have a question about Placement Preference Form. Do I must write the name of Professors or I can leave it blank? Some universities do not allow to contact to professors before passing first screening round, so I can not decide the name of professors to fill in. In case I have to write the name of professors in this form, and then they can not supervise me, can I change to another one in the same university? (some people said that I can't do it).

Hi guys. Thank you for the information you shared it really helps.

For those who previously have applied and have been accepted as well as those whom are currently applying through the Embassy recommendation, i would like to know what you included in "Present field of study", "Research Topic in Japan" and " Study programme in Japan". ?

N.B Im about to complete but i want to make sure im on the right track.
Thank you

Hello ! I have a licence in accounting and management and I want to choose a MBA or management studies . I also want to choose an english program but I don't sit TOELF exam . What can I do ?

Hello ! I have a licence in accounting and management and I want to choose a MBA or management studies . I also want to choose an english program but I don't sit TOELF exam . What can I do ?
You can apply but the universities will ask for a TOEFL score. Ask your embassy if you can apply or not.

Do I must write the name of Professors or I can leave it blank? Some universities do not allow to contact to professors before passing first screening round, so I can not decide the name of professors to fill in
Write the name of the professor whose research you are interested in. If you are placed in another lab , thats the university's decision.
For now, you should write the names of professors/labs you are interested in.

Do you have to return any money if you fail to advance?
No idea.
I also have another question, regarding the dormitories. Can you stay in a dormitory in the first year? Do you have to find a private accomodation in the following period?
Dorms are university's responsibility so it depends on the university you choose.
I wonder if the scholarship is enough...
Its enough, I think. You can do a part time job if needed. (You need your university's permission)

Hi everyone:)
this thread in forum very benefited, thanks for all info that shared here.
I have some little bit :unsure: questions
what's the " MBA" field that most of you speak about it :sleep::whistling:
another question what should i fill in this part on Field of study form
Study program in Japan: (Describe in detail and with specifics — particularly concerning the ultimate goal(s) of your research in Japan)

thanks in advance👍

Last edited:
No idea.

Dorms are university's responsibility so it depends on the university you choose.

Its enough, I think. You can do a part time job if needed. (You need your university's permission)

👍
Maybe I'll call the embassy and ask. It would be nice to have more information about doing just the 2 year period as a non-regular research student.

About dorms, I've done a search, and indeed it seems it depends on the university. Certain universities also link you to third-party dormitories where you can stay for more than 1 year. Maybe they are more expensive, but offer certain advantages.

How long are vacations usually? It is possible to work up to 8 hours a day during those periods.

Back
Top Bottom