What's new

Monbukagakusho Undergraduate 2016

Hi people, I just wanted to share with you that i passed my exams and after the interview ended, they told me i will get the response in january-february. I am scared because I don't speak japanese yet, and I have applied for medicine..so it will be that much harder to learn the language. I wish you all the best. I don't even know if they will accept me. Hope is my only comfort. If you want to chat about how living in the land of the rising sun is I'm here :).
Hey their neighbour :D I am from Serbia and I am very glad to find someone who has already applied for studing medicine. I would appreciate if you could give me extra information about exams you passed? More precisely, which objects you' re ought to prepare for that kind of exam? Also, do you know anybody who tried to apply for Science (Biology)?

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. If there're members of this forum who has knowledge about studying medicine or biology in Japan, please share it :3

Hey all! I hope it isn't too early to be asking questions about the 2017 scholarship. :D

I've researched what I can, but the information seems to be widely spread, so it's hard to find out everything I need to know. Please forgive me if anything I ask seems obvious, since, if I ask it, it isn't so obvious, as I have attempted to find it on my own already.

I emailed my local embassy asking about the admit rate for the scholarship, and I was told that the information was confidential, which is why I couldn't find any statistics about it online. He also replied with the rather ominous, "However, please know that the MEXT scholarship application process can be very competitive. While you apply for MEXT, I recommend you treat the scholarship as one possible option and pursue other alternatives as well." I realize that he just wants to ensure that I don't place all my eggs into one basket, but it's still a little frightening! :eek:

Do your high school grades carry much weight, if any, in the application? What about standardized test scores (ACT/SAT/AP)? I haven't seen anything specifically mentioning them, so I'd imagine they don't, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm graduating from high school in May 2016, but I wouldn't know if I was accepted into the MEXT scholarship program until February 2017. Should I just defer college for a year or go to one of my country's colleges and then leave if I'm accepted? If I were to defer college for a year and travel to Japan to take a half year of language classes on my own, I'd still be able to apply for the MEXT scholarship through my home country's embassy, right? I saw that there was a different application for privately financed international students, but I think that only applies if you're already in a Japanese university, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One last question, if I'm accepted into the MEXT scholarship program, then I won't have to separately apply to a Japanese university, correct? I would just do my year of intensive language training, after which I'd take the placement test and then various university entrance exams?

Thanks for your help!

Hey all! I hope it isn't too early to be asking questions about the 2017 scholarship. :D

I've researched what I can, but the information seems to be widely spread, so it's hard to find out everything I need to know. Please forgive me if anything I ask seems obvious, since, if I ask it, it isn't so obvious, as I have attempted to find it on my own already.

I emailed my local embassy asking about the admit rate for the scholarship, and I was told that the information was confidential, which is why I couldn't find any statistics about it online. He also replied with the rather ominous, "However, please know that the MEXT scholarship application process can be very competitive. While you apply for MEXT, I recommend you treat the scholarship as one possible option and pursue other alternatives as well." I realize that he just wants to ensure that I don't place all my eggs into one basket, but it's still a little frightening! :eek:

Do your high school grades carry much weight, if any, in the application? What about standardized test scores (ACT/SAT/AP)? I haven't seen anything specifically mentioning them, so I'd imagine they don't, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm graduating from high school in May 2016, but I wouldn't know if I was accepted into the MEXT scholarship program until February 2017. Should I just defer college for a year or go to one of my country's colleges and then leave if I'm accepted? If I were to defer college for a year and travel to Japan to take a half year of language classes on my own, I'd still be able to apply for the MEXT scholarship through my home country's embassy, right? I saw that there was a different application for privately financed international students, but I think that only applies if you're already in a Japanese university, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One last question, if I'm accepted into the MEXT scholarship program, then I won't have to separately apply to a Japanese university, correct? I would just do my year of intensive language training, after which I'd take the placement test and then various university entrance exams?

Thanks for your help!

Hey 2Talltman!
hii! welcome to this forum bro
I've currently applied for the scholarship, awaiting results now. Obviously, you must never put all your eggs in one basket, your common sense must have told this before the embassy! So bro, go for this one, but act as if you were to live without getting this one. Apply for others as well and keep your alternatives well alive. I've known friends who wasted a year, completely dependent on MEXT. So no matter how well you perform, Japanese Govt. Budget and performance of students round the globe will decide your fate. So don't take chances.

If you have finally decided that you'll study in Japan with or without this scholarship, Going to Japan at your expenses seems a good idea. Almost every second international student gets a scholarship; and only privately financed students can apply for them from within Japan. But beware, you gotta have pretty strong financial support to study in an expensive country like Japan, especially if you wanna go to some good university.

I would advice you to go to some university in your home country as an alternative, just in case you don't wanna waste academic years. If Japan's your final take, go to some language school, going to Japanese schools will cost you hefty bundles of cash, but you'll have a lot more opportunities than your home country, going to those in your country will enable you to apply for ONLY MEXT, but will obviously be cheaper. And yes, you can apply from abroad, in your home country's embassy of Japan.

SAT's are not required. They don't mention them anywhere and require you to submit your marks of the last three years; and those marks will be a major criteria for your selection. If you go for MEXT, it's the govt. which decides which university you go depending on your performance in the previous year and application process.

Do well, study hard and you'll make it, take my count on that. All the best bro, would be a pleasure to see you in Japan if you get there and I get a positive result. :)

All the best!!

Last edited:
Kon'nichiwa!
I'm applying for the natural sciences as well.
Can you tell something about the difficulty level?
If I get selected,then how will I be informed and how much time will it take?
How tough is it exactly?
Btw, I am from India.
最善を目指してよ.

Hello guys ^^
I will also apply for the scholarship this year! I would like to ask a favour! If anyone has found past papers, I would really be delighted if he/she could email them to me! I was only able to get the ones from 2010! Please help me out! Wish everyone best of luck and remember, no pain,no gain (just some motivation in case you needed some^^)!
email: [email protected]

Hey everyone. I understand that very few people can give any sort of exact information of this matter but what average would be "good enough" to get scholarship IN CASE you do really well in exams? I have like 7.7-7.8/10 for my last 3 yrs, realistically I could get that number up to like 8 or even slightly more, but end of the school is approaching rapidly, and I don't know do I even have a shot in case If I manage to top those tests, because my average ain't anything impressive. I'm not terrified of failure of not passing, but I'm rather scared that my hopes are already quite meaningless.

*Butthurt alert*
It's so stupid that they take into account all of the marks, I had consistant average of 4 last 3 years in my native language, nobody would give damn in Japan and some awful marks, in subjects I didn't care at the time, because I thought nobody will ever care. Ughh 😡

Ladies and Gentlemen, Our wait is about to be over soon.

Results will be out in a few days now!!! we are at the edge of november
Excited?
Plans?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Our wait is about to be over soon.

Results will be out in a few days now!!! we are at the edge of november
Excited?
Plans?
Really excited here! I can´t help looking at the calendar everyday.

Do you know around which day of December the result will be out?

Really excited here! I can´t help looking at the calendar everyday.

Do you know around which day of December the result will be out?

Bro I read some of the previous forums and found that the most of them got their results by the first week of December. I really wish we get in. and for those of us who are on this forum and selected, we can plan everything together before we go. It's always great to already have a few friends in an alien land!

Woah, it's nearing the end of November ^^ Good luck to all of us! By the way, I heard some countries might be notified on late November (probably 23-30). Anyway, let's just hope fore the best ^^/

Many people are waiting for the final announcement.
I wonder when is the exact month of the final announcement?

Woah, it's nearing the end of November ^^ Good luck to all of us! By the way, I heard some countries might be notified on late November (probably 23-30). Anyway, let's just hope fore the best ^^/
Yoga, It's gonna be fun bro!
The epic suspense is killing me! :D
lets hope for the best.. Do tell me when you get yours ;)

They say in Greece the results of research scholarship are out. I wonder if the undergraduate is out too

Last edited:
Yep ^^
Initially saw it on onbthe facebook group but I know some people from both countries so I got to confirm it :3

Good luck guys! I hope you all have good news expecting you ^^

Yep ^^
Initially saw it on onbthe facebook group but I know some people from both countries so I got to confirm it :3

Good luck guys! I hope you all have good news expecting you ^^
Squishy, What about you?
were you recommended to MEXT?

Well, Idk what exactly MEXT is looking to begin with so in that sense maybe xD
But mostly it doesn't really feel the same..I'll find a different way xD

Hi people of the Philippines! Our final results will come out next week! Pass or fail they'll email us. Gluck to everyone! :x3:;):roflmao::pompous::geek:😅

Back
Top Bottom