Featured Moving To Tokyo/Yokohama - Tips

Discussion in 'Japan Practical' started by TallNuck, Oct 30, 2018.

1. TallNuck

TallNuck Registered

Hi All,

I'm pretty excited to be moving to work near Shin-Yokohama next year.
    I previously lived in Kyushu a few years ago, and am now coming back to Japan.

I know it is hugely general, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice for setting up again in the big city?

Questions I'd have include:

(1) Advice for finding an apartment - Good rental companies, things to avoid, etc.

(2) Suitable location in Tokyo - I work near Shin-Yokohama Station, but don't want to live there

(3) Shared-apartment possibilities (ie. someone already lives there and I sub-let/share with them)

(4) Anything else to be aware of?

Honestly, I'm open to any good advice and do appreciate it!

Thanks
    N

2. KyushuWoozy

KyushuWoozy Sempai
    Donor

Having lived in both Kyushu and Tokyo, my advice is to come back to Kyushu :emoji_smile:

But of course, I'm just half-joking. The best skill a human can have is to be happy wherever, whatever. Enjoy your new adventure.

3. thomas

thomas Unswerving cyclist
    Admin

As you will be working in Shinyokohama I’d look for some place in Kanagawa either along Toyoko Line (more crowded) or along Yokohama Blue or Green Lines (pricier). I’d definitely aim at keeping my commute short.

Other than that: what @KyushuWoozy said. :emoji_smile:

4. TallNuck

TallNuck Registered

Haha, thanks! I loved Kyushu (lived in Nagasaki), but am moving to the big island now. :emoji_smile:

5. TallNuck

TallNuck Registered

Thank you for the suggestion! that's exactly the kind of insider info I was looking for! :emoji_bow:

6. mdchachi

mdchachi Moderator

Why not? As thomas said, I suggest minimizing your commute since that is what you will be doing most of the time. On the other hand, if you can get your company to pay for your rail pass and could commute by shinkansen that would be nice. You could live by Shinagawa or Tokyo stations.

7. When commuting to Shin Yokohama, I think a place convenient for commutation is Tsunashima.
    綱島(Tsunashima)
    "Tsunashima Station (綱島駅 Tsunashima-eki) is a railway station on the Tokyu Toyoko Line in Kōhoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, operated by the private railway operator Tokyu Corporation."
    Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line, Toyoko Line and Minato Mirai Line are connected.
    (Yokohama City Chinatown from Wako in Saitama Prefecture)
    Access to Tokyo's Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibuya is convenient.

It is 3.8 km from Tsunashima to Shin-Yokohama so You can commute by foot or by bicycle.
    北新横浜から綱島までの徒歩ルート - NAVITIME
    Bus from Tsunashima to Shin-Yokohama.
    綱島駅から新横浜駅 バス時刻表(綱71[東急バス]/綱72他[東急バス]) - NAVITIME

Share house along the Toyoko Line.
    東急東横線の駅一覧:東京シェアハウス