What's new

My thread for asking for translations and so

教えるは一時の優越感、教えないは一生の優越感。
It must be a parody of a proverb 聞くは一時の恥、知らぬは一生の恥 To ask may be a moment's shame, but not to ask and to remain ignorant is an everlasting shame. The meaning is "to teach may be a moment's sense of superiority, but not to teach is an everlasting sense of superiority."

It must be a parody of a proverb 聞くは一時の恥、知らぬは一生の恥 To ask may be a moment's shame, but not to ask and to remain ignorant is an everlasting shame. The meaning is "to teach may be a moment's sense of superiority, but not to teach is an everlasting sense of superiority."
I see. Isn't the proverb ungrammatical, too?
Also, what's the difference between 一時 and 一時間, as well as other time counters with / without 間 (the ones with which 間 is usable)?

学校へ行く時 、名古屋駅までJRで 行って、地下鉄に乗り換えます。
"When I go to school, I go to Nagoya station by JR and then transfer to subway." ?

いい会社に就職が決まったのは先生のおかげです。
Does it mean "Thanks to teacher, I decided to get a job in a good company" or "Thanks to teacher, it was decided I'll get a job in a good company"?

The latter. The point you need to check to interpret the meaning is whether the verb is intransitive/non-volitional 決まった/決まる or transitive/volitional 決めた/決める.

Then, that means you already got the answer before asking it, no? At least, it's better to write your idea first and ask if it's correct or not, don't you think so?

Then, that means you already got the answer before asking it, no? At least, it's better to write your idea first and ask if it's correct or not, don't you think so?
Yes, I guess I should have written my ideas first, my bad.
I wasn't sure with the answer and was trying to clear it out or so.

Back
Top Bottom