What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Hello, I am trying to identify the following kanji. They appear on a map of structures/buildings inside the old Heian palace (the map seems to be quite old and contains some outdated kanji). I think the bottom one might be 陣 (it appeared elsewhere on the map in similar form), the top one I have not been able to identify. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• kanji.png
    kanji.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 107
Hello, I need help with some kanji for a character's name. The original kanji used are 炎山 and read as "Enzan'. However, it is also said that if written in a different kanji it would mean 'computing' instead, while still keep the 'Enzan' reading if I understand that correctly. So if anyone know what the kanji is it would really be appreciated. Thank you :).

Hello, I am trying to identify the following kanji. They appear on a map of structures/buildings inside the old Heian palace (the map seems to be quite old and contains some outdated kanji). I think the bottom one might be 陣 (it appeared elsewhere on the map in similar form), the top one I have not been able to identify. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, the second kanji would be 陣, but I can't think of what the first one is, either. Can you provide us the map? The place where it's written might be helpful to identify the kanji.

Hello, I'm a huge fan of Japanese culture, language and history. Was going to get a tattoo that is a mix of Japanese "styled" clouds/waves with some Kanji thrown in. I wanted the Kanji to read as "Never Give Up."
I've done a bit of research and apparently someone who speaks Japanese as their first language has noted it can be written as either of these two ways? The 2nd version is the recommended one?

1: 諦めない

2: 不撓不屈

Source is this thread:

"Never Give Up" to kanji please. | Japan Forum

Did you actually read that other thread? Do you understand that what the translation is depends on whether you intend "never give up" to be a simple statement (as in "I never give up") or a command to others? I never did succeed in making that idjit understand that.

The answer to your question depends on which meaning you intend. Even though the two are worded identically in English they are different in Japanese.

Which do you mean?

Yeah, I read through it but just wanted to clarify it with others as well because I'm not sure if my intent with the kanji's meaning can be translated properly from English.

My intent with the kanji is a simple statement or phrase rather than a command directed at others so that's why I was leaning toward the second phrasing of it. However, now that you've responded, I'm not necessarily trying to say "I" specifically never give up either (although I'd naturally want to apply it to myself as well). I just want it to be read as a simple phrase. Not a command nor only suggesting "I" never give up. If that meaning can't be properly translated from English into Kanji, I'm leaning toward the 2nd version regardless (even if it only implicates that "I" never give up).

The second option also seems more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Last edited:
Didn't realize there was a 15 minute time limit on editing posts. Just wanted to clarify that even though the 2nd translation is objectively more aesthetic to me, my primary goal is just to make sure I don't get ink needled onto my skin and not be read/interpreted as intended. On another note, I skimmed through the tattoo thread just now and I totally understand that many members are against using a language you aren't fluent in as a tattoo. Regardless, I just wanted to ensure that the Kanji meaning matches up with my intent. I most definitely do not want it read as a command so the 1st option is out then.

It looks to me like 廣忠刀 (Hirotada-tō), which would suggest to me it might have been made from the steel of a sword by Hirotada (don't know which Hirotada...there were probably several). Could date from the time when swordsmiths were shifting production to other items after the Haitōrei of the late 1800s.

刀 is used for the name of the chaser, just like 筆 for the painter or calligrapher.;)
I agree with 廣, but the second kanji doesn't seem like 忠 to me...

Oh thank you. Wow. If it is not hard enough to decipher kanji into words, then there are names one must recognise in order to attribute it to an artist. Thank you, makes sense, and begs more questions :)

Oh thank you. Wow. If it is not hard enough to decipher kanji into words, then there are names one must recognise in order to attribute it to an artist. Thank you, makes sense, and begs more questions :)

You deserve a word of praise for posting what must be the absolute best quality photo we have ever had here requesting a translation. I wish everybody would make theirs that clear, well-lit, and crisply focused. Bless you.

And thank you too Mike. Thank the technology, amazing these days. It's just such a beautiful thing. The engraving, the temple scene. Makes me want to learn more about Japanese art. Where to start!? :)

I don't know of a more fascinating culture, to me, and I cannot wait to explore the country one day. Amazing time to be alive.

Just realised I didn't show the front, I just think the work is beautiful...

Attachments

• pm111117436.jpg
    pm111117436.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
Hello,
I am researching one of the pieces in our museum, and would like to know what this says (two pictures, attached). I suspect it is a factory and date code, and am very curious to see what it is!

Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

• Gunto_25Jan17_tang_left.jpg
    Gunto_25Jan17_tang_left.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Gunto_25Jan17_tang_right.jpg
    Gunto_25Jan17_tang_right.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 138
Interesting; the fakes usually have odd stamps on the (exposed part) of the blades, are ground from thin stock and are missing the hamon. What are the rest of the markings?

I dug this up in my museum's archives, so there is no telling where (exactly) it came from. Which is good for my sanity, because if every "war" story was true, our displays would be full of items personally recovered from ten star generals after a pitched hand to hand battle whilst armed only with a small knife for peeling fruit.

Attachments

• Gunto_25Jan17_exploded_small.jpg
    Gunto_25Jan17_exploded_small.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 105
I think the first image is 廣光 and read "Hiromitu". A first name?

Don't go by my opinion on authenticity. I'm as far from an expert as you can get.

Neat! So Kajiwara Hiromitsu, of Fukuoka prefecture, made in 1943?

Born in 1900, son of a swordsmith, and known for making gunto. You folks rock!

Back
Top Bottom