What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Hello,

I need some help to translate this please :
4cb7e65dae8c7e8ae4b653f85476ce92.jpg

3acaff825cac935423c93b8aa364fbf9.jpg

Thank you

Hello! New here 🙂:

I'm making a dress that features the "Kuchisake-Onna" legend. It's a slip dress with a split in the thigh; I wanted the Kuchisake-Onna's dialogue "Am I pretty?" / "How about now?" going up the split. The vertical nature of the script compliments my design nicely so I hope that it is possible to translate this into vertical kanji!
Please feel free to correct any incorrect knowledge about the legend, I only know about it from books and Google!

Last edited:
The words she said "Am I pretty?" is "Watashi/Atashi, kirei?" in Japanese. It can be written in kanji 私、綺麗?, but usually hiragana 私、きれい? is used in the story.

I'm making a dress that features the "Kuchisake-Onna" legend. It's a slip dress with a split in the thigh; I wanted the Kuchisake-Onna's dialogue "Am I pretty?" / "How about now?" going up the split. The vertical nature of the script compliments my design nicely so I hope that it is possible to translate this into vertical kanji!

This thread is actually for people who are trying to interpret or translate kanji, not those asking for translations into Japanese. Anyway...

Based on a brief Internet search I did, the "How about now?" part of the dialogue is usually expressed as これでも...? It's not a direct translation, but conveys the same meaning.

You can write all of this text vertically, one character per line. When writing vertically, you can put the comma on its own line, or just omit it, and write the above three dots vertically, or just omit them.

That would be 直ぐに ("immediately"). You can easily find it using kanji component search (as offered by e.g. jisho.org): click 十 and 目 and you get 直 as the first result. Alternatively, you can use the KanjiTomo OCR-based dictionary.
You're ignoring the まっ part. 真っ直ぐに means straight ahead.

Can anyone read this word for me please?
_temp.jpg

It looks to me like 井解, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.
Many thanks.

It does. But i don't think it was a native speaker, who coined that 永伝説 title in the first place. Just like "All your base are belong to us" and similar cases.

It does. But i don't think it was a native speaker, who coined that 永伝説 title in the first place. Just like "All your base are belong to us" and similar cases.

I have the same impression; I think it started from English and was translated by somebody looking up kanji.

Something tells me if you're asking for tattoo translation advice in a subreddit you really need to re-evaluate your life. Doesn't seem like the best place to get advice on something that's going to be permanent. Of course I'm of the mind that getting a tattoo in a language you don't understand is a bad idea in the first place.

There are many Japanese proficient people here who would be more than happy to help you with kanji questions. What does this character mean? What is the character for such and such?
Ask away!
No question is "too stupid", and we promise to be nice in our replies! (This is a thread to help, so negative comments are not welcome here!)

Hi, this is my first time posting, so I hope I ask correctly and in the appropriate place. A really good friend of mine gave me these kanji paintings. Her uncle, from Okinawa, painted them long ago. She was only able to tell me that they would be appropriate to put in the entrance of a place, kind of a welcome, but she wasn't entirely sure. Could someone please help me with a translation?

Thanks so much,
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 100
Could someone please help me with a translation?
They are two of the most well known four kanji character phrases in Japan.
They are 温故知新 (on-ko-chi-shin) and 一期一會 (ichi-go-ichi-e).
Both are read starting in the top right and moving downward.
If you google using the above alphabetic versions of the phrases (perhaps with the dashes removed), you'll find lots of explanations of the meanings.

I moved your post.
The order of the kanji is more likely for Chinese grammar (verb -> objective). The opposite order 夢追 (yumeoi) can refer to an action "chasing a dream" in Japanese, as in 夢追人 (yumeoibito) "dream chaser/dreamer".

I moved your post.
The order of the kanji is more likely for Chinese grammar (verb -> objective). The opposite order 夢追 (yumeoi) can refer to an action "chasing a dream" in Japanese, as in 夢追人 (yumeoibito) "dream chaser/dreamer".
Thank You! Sorry I was "post hijacking" but I am new to the site and I really didn't know how to post correctly at the time.

Back
Top Bottom