1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the conversion to a new forum software a lot of threads in the 日本語 section display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections need to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Need a word or phrase translated?

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Buntaro, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Google search results of アカウントを見る: 27 hits

アカウントを見る is used as "to identify the account" in some results. Also, アカウント(を)チェックする means more likely "to check ID, password or like that". The point is that アカウント including アカ or 垢 usually doesn't refer to アカウントページ. プロフィール is the best if you feel it's too long. I don't have such an impression for this word, though.

2. kurapan

kurapan 後輩

I get your point and I do agree with you that it sounds more correct. But I hear it in the radio and niconico live broadcasts every now and then. 'チェック' meaning 'check out' in particular.

3. jt_

jt_ 人生絶賛迷走中

This is all very subjective and depends on how the person chooses to express him/herself; there isn't one right answer. But something like 新しいアカウント作ったので、フォローしてね(フォローしてもらえると嬉しいです) would convey the idea in a natural manner, I think.

There are any number of ways to get the point across, but the idea is that you don't want to limit yourself to a translation of how you'd say it in English, but rather consider how the idea might be expressed in Japanese. It's easy to get hung up on choosing the right vocab word, etc., but often the way it's more a matter of reconsidering the structure of the utterance to fit how a native speaker of Japanese would express it.

4. rik7865

rik7865 Registered

IMG_0320.jpg So, I'm Rik, I'm new, this is my first post-anyway, so hello-anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what this was. I found it at a Goodwill, rolled up behind a bunch of junk, and with no price tag, so they gave it to me for 50¢ I think. Anyway, anyone have any idea?

5. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

江山如此多嬌
    The country is full of beauty like this.

It's well known as the title of a painting in the Great Hall of the People, which Mao Zedong named. You can see the title on the upper left corner of the painting. (Although your calligraphy is written in the opposite order from the original (from right to left), it's a traditional way of writing horizontally.)
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. rik7865

rik7865 Registered

Oh thank you so much. Just one more question, since I'm an idiot and don't know much about eastern cultures, why would the title of a a painting be written on that piece of paper?

7. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

You can think it's not just a title but more likely a poem. It's quite common to use just a title, phrase or word as a motif of calligraphy since calligraphy itself is an art.

• Friendly Friendly x 1