What's new

Need a word or phrase translated?

Hi there! Does anyone know what 書物展望社 mean? It was written on a text from the early showa period. Is it the same as "publisher"? Thank you!

I've been studying Japanese for about 7 years and I'm still really bad at it (and have gotten worse since I stopped studying full time) so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can assist!

I'm searching for the equivalent of "its what's on the inside that counts/it's whats in your heart that counts". Obviously because this is an idiom, there's not going to be a direct translation.

What I've been able to track down so far is: 美目より心
But I have no idea how accurate that might or might not be and whether people would actually use it to express this sentiment.

If anyone can help that would be super awesome!

美目より心 works well. It's not so commonly used, though. What comes to my mind now is: 山高きが故に貴からず The mountain is august not because of her height. Well, this is not so common, either.

Help please?

The original printed text
kanji.jpg

What I was able to identify.
さいがあがりこと、国龍美のデビュー、全描下作品集.熱望の大長篇!

1 - Did I correctly get them?
2 - What does this translate to?

The only mistake is that you missed the second kanji of the name 国龍美.
"さいがあがり" is another name of 国島龍美. Does this help your understanding?

Ah-ha! No wonder I kept getting tripped up with the name. That explains a whole lot.
It helps and thank you!

What does this translate to in English? (I mean, i can break it apart to translate the individual kanji, but I don't know what sort of sense it's suppose to read in English.)
月曜新也紀

How are these names written in romaji?

南里伊里 = 'Iri Minami'?

石堂摩有

門井亜矢

Last edited:
Having a bit of trouble getting a proper translation into English for this. Help please?

12 * 1990 * Dec. 1990 * 900 YEN * [いーず]で描けない読めない外篇続篇5篇収録。4コママンガも特別収録。

And do you know what this name reads?
乃間修

Last edited:
Having a bit of trouble getting a proper translation into English for this. Help please?

12 * 1990 * Dec. 1990 * 900 YEN * [いーず]で描けない読めない外篇続篇5篇収録。4コママンガも特別収録。
いーず would be the title of a magazine or something.
[いーず]で描けない読めない外篇続篇(or could be 外篇続篇)5篇収録 makes more sense?

And do you know what this name reads?
乃間修
Noma Osamu

Yup! That helps a LOT. Thank you!

I don't know why that translation was so clunky, (very novice at this so I rely heavily on Google Translate and Jim Breen's Monash) but the way I posted it is how it was written in the back of this book.
1990.jpg

The particles are omitted mostly to save the spaces for the explanation. It's often done in a caption or headline on newspapers, for instance.

I can understand how that would be helpful for the sake of space, but, my gosh, it makes translating it a pain for a super novice like me.

Thanks again for the help.

What is ボートク? It's said after a phone was thrown to the ground. It isn't a phrase I have heard before, does it have to do with the type of phone? Though, that they used リンゴ rather than アップル is something I haven't seen before up to now either, so maybe I'm just way off base?

Attachments

• scan01005.jpg
    scan01005.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 253
Hi, Could anyone help me? I would like to know how to read the titles of the following kibyôshi: 諸事米之飯, 腹中能同士, 蟹牛房挾多, 管巻太平記, 魚鳥塩梅吉, 諺東埔寨掌, 唯樽底抜, 和睦香之物
Thank you!

Oh, I've just realized now that you were the one who asked about 書物展望社 above, karenk-san! Long time no see! (Well, I should have said this at that time!:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Here's the ones I found in the net.
蟹牛房挾多 かにがごぼうはさんだ
魚鳥塩梅吉 うおとりあんばいよし
諺東埔寨掌 ことわざかぼちゃのつる
和睦香之物 わぼくのこうのもの

And I would read the rest as follows.
諸事米之飯 もろことこめのめし
腹中能同士 はらのなかのどうし
管巻太平記 くだまきたいへいき
唯樽底抜 ただたるのそこをぬけ
(I found another title of this book 人唯樽底抜, so the reading could be (ひと)ただたるのそこをぬく.)

Yes, that's me! Thank you Toritoribe, you are my savior! I had a long list of kibyôshi, I could find the reading of most of them, but these ones were a bit trick.

Toritoribe, are you there? Do you know what 種蓮華を叩く音 means? Its on Hae by Riichi Yokomitsu. Does it has anything to do with beating lotus flowers to get the seeds? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom