New book: Iketenai-Nippon

Discussion in 'All Things Japanese' started by halloalex, May 7, 2002.

1. halloalex

halloalex Kouhai

Hey there!

When I heard about it today, I was quite surprised too: A gaijin has written a book with the title:

Iketenai-Nippon
    Nihonjin-No Honto-No Tokoro

(in English: "Why Japanese nerves")

It seems, the release in Japan was quite successful. Thatツエs why it is also available in German now:

Darum nerven Japaner
    Der ungeschminkte Wahnsinn des japanischen Alltags

I dont think, that it is already available in English.

But if you can read either Japanese or German, I think it might be quite interesting (for further information see http://www.noiman.com/)Because I find it quite offensive to publish a book with such a title, you too?

Alex

2. halloalex

halloalex Kouhai

Oooppps, probably wrong forum - if so, could someone please move my entry into another forum?

Thx,
    alex

3. thomas

thomas Unswerving cyclist
    Admin

Hi Alex,

I've heard about that book in the past, it was discussed in a few Usenet groups and on Fukuzawa, causing very mixed reactions (Japanese title: "Nihonjin-no Honto-no Tokoro").

Well, despite the fact that the author has the appearance of an East-German neo-nazi, I am thinking of ordering the book.

4. thomas

thomas Unswerving cyclist
    Admin

Hm, the cover too seems to be a bit tendencious...

Btw, does anyone know the Simpson episode where they present the "Big Book of British Smiles"? :emoji_grinning:

Attached Files:

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩

#5 Elizabeth, May 31, 2003
    Last edited: May 31, 2003
    As I understand the it, the original would probably read something like "The truth about Japan's-the Japanese awkward(maladroit)ness/ineptitude/lack of wisdom etc. Perhaps even with connotations of "dasai" or "yabo" (uncouth, senseless, stupid). At any rate, much more offensive than "nerving." Hard to believe that it was so popular there.

I also got some background on the origin of 'ikeru/iketeru' -- but it was in Japanese so didn't completely catch the details. Something to do with that well-known foppishness of Saitama people, though.
    :emoji_rolling_eyes: