1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the conversion to a new forum software a lot of threads in the 日本語 section display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections need to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!
    Dismiss Notice

nuance of 事実上 and 実際

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by Kraise, May 20, 2017.

1. Kraise

Kraise 先輩

Hello there once again guys.
    Its been some time since my last question, as I've been working in my post-grad .

I'd like to ask for some guidance regarding the use of 事実上 and 実際

as the dictionary entries are very closely related, despite the different usage examples
    じじつじょう【事実上】の意味 - goo国語辞書
    じっさい【実際】の意味 - goo国語辞書

In the following lines:
    -北朝鮮事実上の弾道ミサイル発射 from :
    「北朝鮮ミサイル発射」という”大本営発表”(楊井人文) - 個人 - Yahoo!ニュース

-老人医療の実際に目を向ける from:
    じっさい【実際】の意味 - goo国語辞書

Both of them refer to things that are considered truths, facts. But there are different use cases.

If I want to refer to "actual social problems" for example, which one would fit better:

-That politician leverages on actual social problems
    1-あの政治家は事実上の社会問題を利用している
    2 -あの政治家は実際の社会問題を利用している

Would someone provide me some insight on the 使いわけ of these words?

thank you for your cooperation

2. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

事実上 is used in the context "it seems/is said ~ but actually ...". In the example about North Korea, North Korea insisted that it's a launch of a satellite, but actually it's a launch of a missile, so 事実上の is used there. 実際の doesn't have this meaning, but an adverbial phrase 実際(に)は means almost the same as 事実上, as in 北朝鮮の人工衛星は、実際(に)はミサイルだ(=事実上ミサイルだ), since this は works as the contrastive marker. Thus, #2 is correct in your example.

• Thank you Thank you x 1
  3. Kraise

Kraise 先輩

Thank you Toritoribe-san

this matter has been bothering me for a while , finally managed to fix that with your explanation