Origins of the Kamikaze

Discussion in 'All Things Japanese' started by josip123, Apr 16, 2018.

1. josip123

josip123 Registered

Hello everyone :emoji_smile:
    I read an article about the origins of the word Kamikaze, which is translated 'divine-wind'. I always thought that the word was exclusively linked to the pilots of the WW2, but I was wrong.
    "During the 13th century, the Mongols, led by Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis Khan, attempted two major invasions of Japan in 1274 and 1281 AD. However, on both occasions, a massive typhoon (tropical cyclone) obliterated the Mongol fleet, forcing the attackers to abandon their plans and fortuitously saving Japan from foreign conquest. The Japanese believed the typhoons had been sent from the gods to protect them from their enemies and called them Kamikaze (‘divine wind’)."

[​IMG]

The article I talked about

2. I examined Kamikaze and found out that it has nothing to do with Mongol invasions of Japan.
    "神風 特別 攻撃隊 (SHINNPUU TOKUBETSU KOUGEKITAI)"
    The official name is not "Kamikaze" but a "Shinpuu".
    Naval Inoguchi lieutenant colonel seemed to name it from the name of the Kenjutsu dojo(神風流 Shinnpuu Ryuu) of his home town.