Please help translate

Discussion in 'Translations' started by SMiles, Nov 1, 2018.

1. SMiles

SMiles SMiles

Can anyone translate the kanji in the three photos attached? These are all on a Japanese sword I recently acquired and I would love to know more about this particular sword so understanding the kanji would be a great first step. My apologies, the 2nd photo keeps flipping upside down. Many thanks!! 20181031_125145.jpg 20181031_125229.jpg 20181031_125310.jpg

2. Majestic

Majestic 先輩

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this sword looks like a fake.
    The kanji shouldn't be on the blade in the first place, and in the second place the kanji make no sense as a Japanese swordsmith name or any other item you might find on a sword.
    史天元 (ones in red are my guesses)
    The markings on the tassel or strap holder, while very slightly more acceptable than the kanji on the blade, are still atypical of vintage WW2 items, and to me the ensemble looks fake.
    珍常古川 (Chinjō Furukawa) Furukawa would be a common last name. Chinjō are two kanji that mean opposites (unusual and everyday).
    For a look at real WW2 swords, see the site below
    Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Guntナ)

3. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

In addition to the first picture, I've never seen an inscription engraved in the opposite direction.

As for the second and third picture, the given name is 常珍 Jōchin . 古川常珍 Furukawa Jōchin is the name of a metalworker in Edo priod, but this doesn't guarantee that it's genuine.