What's new

Pretty Good Blog

Whoever is behind this blog has had a really bad time/experience with Japan and this forum (JREF)- We even get mentioned in the title -

observe-

The truth about Japan

This site tells the truth about Japan. I will tell true stories that happened to me in Japan. As well, I will discuss the social and political situation in Japan. This site is a response to the highly censored forums Japan Today and JREF. (emphasis added) These sites do not give an accurate picture of Japan.

I would argue that a blog dedicated only to negative things about Japan gives a no more accurate picture than our alleged censorship-ridden boards, but hey...its a free Internet - you can raise your flag anywhere you choose.

Sorry you had such a bad time, whoever you are - hope the Fates smile on you in the future, and I'm glad you have found a forum to express your views. JREF welcomes all well-reasoned posts, or at least people who can present and defend their views in a respectful and mature manner, whatever the cut of their jib may be.

parky said:
I found a good blog on the web discussing Japan.
I've read over his blog and do not believe it to be a "good blog" as you put it. The person is very ignorant of, and prejudiced and racist to, the Japanese people and their culture and does not enjoy being there. As he is afraid to put his real name on his blog or to allow comments as he just wants to express a one-sided racist view. There is also no discussion allowed on this blog. I would not recommend it to anyone unless they want a racists' view of Japan or to find out what happens to someone's mindset when they are living in a country they detest and are afraid to leave.

It seems this person once posted on this site a while back and started a big furor with over 80 replies in a few hours. I think the example he gave in his post here and the story on his blog about no one helping a woman in distress is one and the same. I think he was banned for his racist views. Thus he gives bad rep to JREF. Does anyone remember that post?

I also think that this person is a doink. I'm sorry he didn't enjoy his time in Japan but that is no excuse for being so prejudiced. He says all Japanese people are racist but I think he is racist himself. Japan does have faults, but all other countries have faults as well and there are racist people in all countries.

You know I agree with some of the things he says. I think that many Japanese people are intimidated or just plain do not like to see mix of foreigners in "thier". I think this is only due to the nature of the beast. Americans are used to seeing people of many different walks of life which makes it easier for us to accept a person from a different background. Now imagine being out and about when suddenly the little green guy with big black eyes and little nose and mouth strolls pass you. You'd freak the $#%@ out. But yeah you seen pictures of them on TV but it's different and b/c you know nothing about them you kinda stare but avoide at the same time. There tons of Foreigners living in Japan these days but still Japanese people can be a bit cold when it come to confrontation. Example:
Me and few friends are getting on a train in Tokyo area. It's so busy you don't really pay attention to your surroundings. So we sit and talk for a minute when I notice an older Japanese woman standing. Well I do what I would do if it was in the US I stand and try to offer my seat in Japanese. etto sumimasen kedo suwate kudasai ( trying to say "uhm excuse but please have a seat") Well she looked at me nodded and stood there. what Now I feel like a jackass for trying to do the right thing. So I am just standing leaving the seat open b/c well maybe I said something wrong and she'll get the idea later. Well she never took the seat and it went to waste.

Another time: we are waiting to be seated at a restaraunt when one english speaking guy comes up to us asks how many. We tell him and he says just a moment. then finally seats so we look at the menu decide what we want and wait for the waiter to come take our order. Well that was stupid. What waiter would come take the order of people who he can't communicate with. "etto sumimsaen, watashitachi ha kimarimashita" (Excuse me, we have decided) "Ah" says the guy after waiting about 20min before I could stop him from breezing pass us with the "Oh my god I might have to speak english some how look". But when I think about it now I don't blame him.

It is just part of the country. You can't go there expecting everything to be like what you hear or read. I mean if he hates it so bad then Leave. I understand that Japanese people can be ignorant. But it's not the end of the world and eventually people change.

To whoever owns that blog: thanks for your "accurate picture of Japan" and in particular the free advertising for JREF!

🙂

Oh, that was some funny reading! I love his use of horrible spelling combined with non-existant subject-verb agreement; it really enhances the blog.

Well...

cacawate said:
Oh, that was some funny reading! I love his use of horrible spelling combined with non-existant subject-verb agreement; it really enhances the blog.
The spelling wasn't perfect, certainly, but I don't think it was terrible relative to what you generally see on forums.
Plus, I think he makes a lot of valid points. Of, course a lot of people who post on this site don't even live in Japan and prefer to keep their idealized version of Japan going at the expense of reality.
Also, I cannot accept the critisizm that he didn't use his real identity. I mean I think most of the people on this site, and the internet in general are using a pseudonym.
I also don't agree with people who say "why doesn't he leave?". I don't think people necessarily need to turn-tail and run from the bad guys. And, maybe has already left, we don't know. Sounds like he at least tried to help the Japanese, and went over with good intentions.
If you claim he is a bigot then take a look at yourselves. You resorted to name calling, and labelling him just because you cannot respect another opinion other than your own.
I don't agree with everything he says but I sure have experienced very similar things in Japan. I definitely don't think he is a liar.
In fact, I hope to read more. It makes me feel like my own similar experiences in Japan were not unique.
There is not a lot of discussion about the positive points of Japan but I think the intention of that site is to counter the sugar-coated propaganda that you read on the mainstream forums. I guess these types of sites will pop up more and more as people start getting attack and censored on the commercial sites.
It also looks like we have a George Bush style coalition of the willing with various puppet identities being used to trash the blog.

His tone is racist, though some of his examples seem to point to bigger social problems here (i.e. child abuse, college rape clubs, racist service at a few places). Why he would criticize JREF, rather than say 'Young Dudes Guide to Japan', I don't know (even though there are some threads of interest there), perhaps the guy is busy and doesn't bother to read everything, or in a sense his mind has been poisoned by his bad experiences here. I can relate sometimes, bu then again, I suppose things could be worse here (like violence).

I checked out this guy's site & it did seem to have a very racist bias. However, because I am soon leaving my home country to live and work in Japan for a year, I did decide to check out a link on his site which took me to the Amnesty International website.

If anyone is interested, this part of the page gives some examples of human rights violations in Japan.

http://web2.amnesty.org/library/Ind...UNTRIES\JAPAN?OpenDocument&of=COUNTRIES\JAPAN

I must admit that after reading this info I'm quite nervous about going to Japan. For those of you with Japanese friends who like to get involved in trying to improve their country get them to go to the following link. This link will allow them to petition thier foreign minister to improve the protection of human rights in Japan.

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/un-hrcouncil-eng

I would also be interested if people who have lived in Japan would rate how racist they feel Japanese society is compared to their own home country on a scale of 1 to 10. "1" being not racist at all compared to your home country, "5" being equal in racism compared to your own country, and "10" being extremely racist compared to your home country.

I would have to say

10. I cannot say there is no racism in my own country so I will give my own a 4. But in my country they are very proactive against all forms of discrimination, so it is quite inconvenient to be a racist there. And there are tolerance/understanding programs even as low a elementary school. Make a racial slur and you are likely to lose friends, or maybe your job.
Unless you are a minority and then you can make all of the slurs you want.
But, in Japan, it is absurd. I could tell you so many stories.
I only stay because I like my job and because I have a good girlfriend.
Otherwise, I would flush this place like a day-old turd.

Thanks for the links. Those are great ones.

I wouldn't mind buying this guy a drink, solely so I can get close enough to deck the wanker.
If you wanted to focus on purely the worst in a country then I'm sure I could do a better job simply with Australia.
I find the blog to be one-sided, racist and clearly showing a real lack of knowledge about anything to do with Japan. I can't be bothered right now but even his latest (3month old) post is full of holes and bollocks.
Most perceived "racism" that I've seen people receive here is a result of their own actions: if you are going to be cocky, arrogant and an overall ****, then people are not going to treat you well. On the other hand if you are polite, patient and try to understand how and why things are how they are you tend to get along fine - to date I've had no issues with employment, use and entry, accomadation or finance because I am foreign.

Oooh! An auto block for naughty words :)

Back
Top Bottom