What's new

Question on Japan National Health Insurance

JYTan

後輩
7 Feb 2015
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Japan National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken).
I arrived in Japan last October and I am a MEXT scholar.
My payable premium last fiscal year was around JPY2200 per month.

For the new fiscal year, I just received my payment slips and my monthly premium is now JPY6500 per month.
Is that the approximate amount MEXT scholars generally have to pay? Or did I miss out on any reliefs for MEXT scholars / students?

I know that the premium we pay is based on our previous year income, that is why the first year premium was low. But for subsequent years, is that the normal amount one should pay for MEXT scholars? Is our scholarship considered a taxable income?

I am just making sure because I am surprised that my premium increased three-fold.

Thank you.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Japan National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken).
I arrived in Japan last October and I am a MEXT scholar.
My payable premium last fiscal year was around JPY2200 per month.

For the new fiscal year, I just received my payment slips and my monthly premium is now JPY6500 per month.
Is that the approximate amount MEXT scholars generally have to pay? Or did I miss out on any reliefs for MEXT scholars / students?

I know that the premium we pay is based on our previous year income, that is why the first year premium was low. But for subsequent years, is that the normal amount one should pay for MEXT scholars? Is our scholarship considered a taxable income?

I am just making sure because I am surprised that my premium increased three-fold.

Thank you.
I've had a similar problem. You may have to visit your ward office and confirm that you are registered as a MEXT recipient and thus income is zero.

I'll post on this thread to avoid opening a new one with the same title. I arrived in Osaka (Yao-shi to be precise) to work in January last year and I payed about 3000 yen a month on health insurance. I was told that the first year premiums were very cheap and that they would raise on my second year. I just received this year's premiums and they sure have gone up: 24.000 a month (240.000 in total). Is this within the expected range for a person that makes about 3mill yen a year?

I'll post on this thread to avoid opening a new one with the same title. I arrived in Osaka (Yao-shi to be precise) to work in January last year and I payed about 3000 yen a month on health insurance. I was told that the first year premiums were very cheap and that they would raise on my second year. I just received this year's premiums and they sure have gone up: 24.000 a month (240.000 in total). Is this within the expected range for a person that makes about 3mill yen a year?

You have some reason to suspect they are cheating you by overcharging you?

You can look this stuff up online....

国民健康保険計算機|全国の市区町村の国民健康保険料を自動計算できる

You have some reason to suspect they are cheating you by overcharging you?

You can look this stuff up online....

国民健康保険計算機|全国の市区町村の国民健康保険料を自動計算できる

Thanks for the link. I checked it and it more or less adds up. I didn't suspect they were cheating me, but some friends of mine got a bill for 50.000 a month on their first year here due to a clerical error and I just wanted to make sure that my bill was within reasonable parameters.

Back
Top Bottom