What's new

Question specifically for spouse visa holders

KashimaKing

Kouhai
6 Oct 2015
こんにちは!

Just a quick question in regards to the Japanese spouse visa for anyone who knows what they are talking about. I came to Japan a year ago on a working holiday. It expired a month ago and i just went to the immigration office and picked up my spouse 'visa'. They said its all okay and gave me a new residence card with a year extension, however there is nothing new in my passport, only an expired working holiday.

Is this right? Is this because i only changed my status of residence perhaps?

Thank you

David

Your status is indicated in your residence card and no longer in your passport.

To say that you "only changed my status of residence" shows you don't completely understand visas.

Visa allow you to enter the country for a specific purpose.
Once you enter, it is canceled then replaced with a status of residence. Colloquially, people and immigration staff will continue to say you are here on a particular visa, but technically you are not.

Don't lose that card!

Here's information that was announced back when the system changed.
To all foreign nationals residing in Japan Beginning on Monday, July 9, 2012, Start of a new residency management system!

you don't need anything in your passport. the stamp on entrance is the actual visa, (= permission for a foreigner to enter a country) but it's not needed anymore when you have residence status (= no need for entry permission). next time you leave or enter Japan you'll need to show that residence card along with the passport.

Back
Top Bottom