What's new

Radiology in Japan

While it may seem like a no-brainer that spending a year in Japan teaching English would lead to a phenomenal increase in one's Japanese ability, by and large ALTs aren't particularly noted for their great strides in learning the language. It all depends entirely on the individual, of course, and personal dedication and effort. If you seriously want to pursue this path, a year in a good Japanese language school would be a far better use of your time.

"Fluent" is a pretty meaningless word. You're going to have to acquire quite a degree of proficiency in the language, most importantly including literacy skills. It will be far beyond what you will acquire through a minor in Japanese. If the Japanese majors I've encountered are any indication, it is beyond what you would acquire through a major. It is certainly doable...it is just going to require a whole lot of outside independent work beyond what you get at school.

A point to keep in mind is that the time limit on the test is set based on what would be a reasonable amount of time for people who speak the language natively and who have been reading and writing it for a far, far longer time than you have. You're going to have to be able to boogie along in overdrive and be able to read at something very near the pace of native speakers. There is a huge difference between sitting a Japanese test aimed at foreigners and sitting a Japanese test aimed at native speakers; the time element really does come into play. You're going to have to read a LOT of Japanese between now and then to get your reading speed up.

I love seeing foreigners step outside the job fields where people usually expect to find us, so I wish you every success at this.

While it may seem like a no-brainer that spending a year in Japan teaching English would lead to a phenomenal increase in one's Japanese ability, by and large ALTs aren't particularly noted for their great strides in learning the language. It all depends entirely on the individual, of course, and personal dedication and effort. If you seriously want to pursue this path, a year in a good Japanese language school would be a far better use of your time.

"Fluent" is a pretty meaningless word. You're going to have to acquire quite a degree of proficiency in the language, most importantly including literacy skills. It will be far beyond what you will acquire through a minor in Japanese. If the Japanese majors I've encountered are any indication, it is beyond what you would acquire through a major. It is certainly doable...it is just going to require a whole lot of outside independent work beyond what you get at school.

A point to keep in mind is that the time limit on the test is set based on what would be a reasonable amount of time for people who speak the language natively and who have been reading and writing it for a far, far longer time than you have. You're going to have to be able to boogie along in overdrive and be able to read at something very near the pace of native speakers. There is a huge difference between sitting a Japanese test aimed at foreigners and sitting a Japanese test aimed at native speakers; the time element really does come into play. You're going to have to read a LOT of Japanese between now and then to get your reading speed up.

I love seeing foreigners step outside the job fields where people usually expect to find us, so I wish you every success at this.
Since I've started pursing the language, I can honestly say I have never been more passionately interested in learning something (and learning is my favorite hobby). Simply put, I will live in Japan eventually, so time and effort required are no negative factors. May I ask what field you are in and how you've ended up in Japan?

Hi all, I am new to this site. I'm currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program for Radiography and I am minoring in Japanese. I should be able to pass at least the JLPT Level 3 (potentially level 2) by my graduation.I was wondering how that may affect the possibility of me finding employment in Tokyo preferably.
A Bachelor's in radiography may not transfer in any meaningful way like an MD would. If you're at the start of this journey, look carefully at the requirements before you go too far.

I wonder if that guy ever went to Japan. With the post from 2008.
It may seem discouraging but at least some good news is that at least in America the registry for Technologists is multiple choice exam. I'm sure a Japanese technologist with business level English could pass it.
I doubt the Japanese test would be too hard. Just have to be able to read the damn thing.

It may seem discouraging but at least some good news is that at least in America the registry for Technologists is multiple choice exam. I'm sure a Japanese technologist with business level English could pass it.

When we have inquiries from Japanese people wanting information about taking the exam in America we will be sure to pass that along to them.

I doubt the Japanese test would be too hard.

One needn't engage in speculation or conjecture when the information is readily available online:

診療放射線検査技師国家試験の合格率、難易度 | 診療放射線技師の仕事、なるには、給料、資格 | 職業情報サイトCareer Garden

Just have to be able to read the damn thing.

How's your Japanese literacy?

Hi there sgorevere san !! Nice to have the chance to talk to you. Let me ask my brother-in-law. He is presently the head of the health screening/pysical check-up section of one hospital in Matsumoto here, but had originally been in radiology. He might have something to share too. The above sites look good too.

How are your Japanese language skills--if you don't mind me asking? Talk to you later !! MM
hi i have n4 level of fluency in nihon language so can i be elegible to work as a radiology technician

Back
Top Bottom