What's new

Searching Japanese Public Documents

hsonej

後輩
27 Jan 2014
What kind of records are available for public search in Japan? I am specifically interested in marriage, divorce, birth, immigration, and real estate property records of the last 15 years.

If anyone knows where I may be able to search records online, please pass along this information to me.

Thank you,
Hans

Okay, this looks like raw statistics though. I guess I should have been more clear. I was looking for specific instances, like if I have a name can I find out the day they were born, or got married? Or are there public court documents that may show divorces? Or could I find if someone owned real property?

I'm going for more specific information, not necessarily statistical data.
Thanks for the information though, I may find something useful in it as I do my searching.

Er, those kind of personal information are inaccessible for the public, don't you think so?

In the states all of those particular things are a matter of public record, but I know Japanese privacy laws are very strict so I don't know what is accessible and what is not.

In the states all of those particular things are a matter of public record

This is not true, in my experience. While for the US there is more online for older periods (usually 70 or 100 years ago +) due to the high interest in genealogy, more recent records are generally only accessible by the person concerned or next of kin/legal representative (it can be quite variable by state, though). You couldn't just look up your neighbour's personal details on a whim.

Actually all these things are available in the states, you just need to know how to do it. My mom was a federal agent and a lawyer, she did it all the time. It is often not easy though and you need to know how and where to look for things. For instance she knows right now who owns all the property around her and whether or not it is paid off or there is a loan on the property, and if they are not currently living on the property she knows where they do live and whether they own other properties. The only thing I am aware of that is regulated is medical records. Almost everything else can be found, sometimes you may need to file a freedom of information act to get access.

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks, Going to have to run these through a translator. Will take a close look though.
You can find who the owner of a real estate property online also in Japan.
窶徙窶ケLツ湘ョ窶「テア窶凖ア窶ケナクニ探ツーニ池ニ湛
(all in Japanese)
However, the converse is not so. You can't find out whether a person has a real estate property just by their names, I believe.
Btw, this has just come to my mind...
ツ絶ぎナスqニ湛ニ暖ツーニ谷ツーナスEツ人ナス窶毒陳 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)
Say....that kaji doesnt make any sense. Is it possible for it to be reposted. My lawyer asked me this info

Back
Top Bottom