What's new

Shakai Hoken

tulimyrsky

Registered
4 Aug 2017
I recently got a job offer in a field I've been wanting to work in for a long time, and it's a permanent position. They are giving me a choice on salary, however, and I don't know what to do. I can take a salary of 250,000 a month but pay for health insurance and pension myself, or I can enroll in shakai hoken with them, but the salary would go down to 200,000. There are yearly raises in both cases. They said the Japanese workers are all in the latter option, but they give foreign workers a choice since some of them don't stay in Japan. I've never worked at a job with shakai hoken, but I want to stay in Japan a long time, so would it be worth it to accept the lower salary?

Everybody has their own definition of what constitutes a "long time". You may wish to check what premiums would be on your own (I think you would be in kokumin hoken and kokumin nenkin if you are paying your own way) and see what it works out to. If you want to stay permanently, then act permanent; enroll in the insurance/pension the same as your Japanese coworkers.

Congratulations on finding employment in your preferred field. May we ask what it is? You needn't answer if you would prefer not to.

I'm considering my whole working career, but things can always change if I get married to another foreigner or a family member gets sick back home.

It's in the field of translation. The amount of studying to get to that level of Japanese has been a difficult path!

Back
Top Bottom