Shanghai by Yokomitsu Riichi

Discussion in 'Translations' started by karenk, Sep 27, 2018.

1. karenk

karenk Sempai

Hi Toritoribe, how are you? I'm translating Shangai, by Yokomitsu Riichi. And already at the beginning there is the sentence: 突堤に積み上げられた樽の上で、苦力(クリー)たちが湿って来た. I'm questioning the meaning of the last part. Does it mean that the coolies were receiving the umidity from the fog? Or is there another way to understand that? Thank you!

2. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

Fine, thank you. Unusual hot days are finally over here in Japan.:emoji_smile:

Yes, you got it right.:emoji_thumbsup:

3. karenk

karenk Sempai

Thank you! Hot days are just starting in Brazil... :emoji_disappointed:

4. karenk

karenk Sempai

Forgot to ask if I should understand that the coolies were seated on the barrels stacked in the jetty. (Or were they working on the top of them?)

5. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, that's a good point! I, too, got an impression that they seated on the barrels without thinking deeply, but judging from the expression 積み上げられた, they indeed seem to be working there, since 積み上げられた樽の上に座って休む is unusual.

6. karenk

karenk Sempai

Hi! Another question. In the passage bellow, the woman is asking Sanki if he is not going to gamble with the Chinese or if he is not going to spend the night with her? Thanks!

霧が帆桁(ほげた)にからまりながら湯気のように流れて来た。女は煙草に火を点(つ)けた。石垣に縛られた船が波に揺れるたびごとに、舷名のローマ字を瓦斯燈(ガスとう)の光りに代る代る浮き上らせた。樽の上で賭博をしている支那人の首の中から、鈍い銅貨の音が聞えて来た。
    「あんた、行かない。」
    「今夜は駄目だよ。」
    「つまんないわ。」

7. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

I moved our posts.

It's the latter.

8. karenk

karenk Sempai

Thank you, Tori! It is nice to have a separated thread. I think that I will be coming here often... :emoji_blush:

9. karenk

karenk Sempai

#9 karenk, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Hi, what would de meaning of 青ざめた眼 be in this passage: 春婦たちは立ち上ると鉄柵に添ってぞろぞろ歩いた。一番後になった若い女が、青ざめた眼でちらりと参木の方を振り返った? "Sad/melancholic eyes" or "inexpressive"?

10. mdchachi

mdchachi Moderator

• Thank you Thank you x 1
    • List
  11. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it expresses that the color of the (probably Russian) woman's eyes is bluish. It doesn't seem to be "sad/melancholic" to me since 青ざめる is usually connencted to "fear" in that usage, and there is no reason why she is afraid of him. Anyway, his feelings would become clear later when the episode of his separation from 競子 is described.

12. karenk

karenk Sempai

Yes, I thought about the color, but the way she looked at Sanki made him remember the way Kyoko looked at him with a kind of despise before lefting... Maybe "with a blankness"?

13. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the episodes with 競子 are described more in detail later in the novel, but it doesn't seem so.
    Unlike 見くだす, 見おろす is rarely used as "to despise" especially with the kanji 見降ろす, even though that difinition is in dictionaries. Anyway, what reminds him of 競子 is the way of her looking at him, and I don't think 青ざめた is not the description about her (or 競子's) despise since this word doesn't have that nuance.

14. karenk

karenk Sempai

Hi! Could I translate えーい、ひとつ、ここらあたりで泣いてやれ, as "let me cry here for a bit"? And 古めかしい幼児のことを追想 as "recollect his distant childhood"?

15. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator