What's new

aleman

Registered
1 Jun 2016
Hello My name is Alex!

I will be studying abroad for the first time for 1 month in Tokyo Japan during the month of August. This is the first time I'm leaving the comfort of my home town. I'm curious on what types of experiences other people have had studying abroad long and short term!, as well if anyone has any useful information that might make a first timer in Japan's life a little easier!

I also decided to start my own blog, so that I am able to chronicle my time in Japan! I have loads of events planned out every week for the time I'm not studying. I would appreciate anyone who is interested in following me and learning about Japanese Culture with me! My blog is : Summer Japan Adventure Many thanks:)

Hello My name is Alex!

I will be studying abroad for the first time for 1 month in Tokyo Japan during the month of August. This is the first time I'm leaving the comfort of my home town. I'm curious on what types of experiences other people have had studying abroad long and short term!, as well if anyone has any useful information that might make a first timer in Japan's life a little easier!

I also decided to start my own blog, so that I am able to chronicle my time in Japan! I have loads of events planned out every week for the time I'm not studying. I would appreciate anyone who is interested in following me and learning about Japanese Culture with me! My blog is : Summer Japan Adventure Many thanks:)
Useful Japanese phrases Japanese Phrases - Hear Japanese Words and Basic Phrases I'd learn some basic phrases before coming, it's always good to be prepared because not everyone in Japan can speak english, only a small percent actually can.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. There aren't quite 30 million people in Tokyo, I don't think. Not that it doesn't feel that way...

Enjoy your trip!

Welcome to the forum. There aren't quite 30 million people in Tokyo, I don't think. Not that it doesn't feel that way...

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! and yeah I looked into it again and the population is closer to 13 million! not sure how i got 30 the first time. Either way major culture shock I can imagine

Did you know that this web site actually has a section called Studying in Japan? Moderators might want to move your thread there.

August is school break time, so I'm curious where you are actually planning on studying...?

It's also the time when universities offer summer schools or other kinds of short-term study programs. Probably either that or simply a language school.

Did you know that this web site actually has a section called Studying in Japan? Moderators might want to move your thread there.

August is school break time, so I'm curious where you are actually planning on studying...?
Hmmm maybe that would be a more suitable location. I'm actually staying in Tokyo, I believe at Akamonkai Language school? I never would have ended up actually going through with studying abroad if it were not for Go Go Nihon! Go! Go! Nihon Summer Course in Tokyo - Study Trip in August

You will have the experience of a lifetime. I still remember my first trip to Japan which was also a one-month study kind of thing. Also my first time away from hometown on my own. It was at a real university rather than a language school but it sounds similar. I still have friends I met on that trip and still keep in touch with my host family even though that was 20 years ago. It was also on the Joban line (which connects to Nippori where you will be).

You'll absolutely love it! 1 month is a good amount of time to know what you truley think about the country, culture, food, and people. Tokyo is obviously a massive city and is extremely busy. However, this probably won't bother you too much.

I had a look at your blog! Not many posts yet but I bet you're too busy having a blast to update it. I studied in Japan twice for extended periods; both times living with a host family. Oh my gosh you make me miss it sooo much! I can't wait to go back and visit everyone... *sigh*

Don't forget to try the onsen!

I think he only joined the forum to put out a link to his blog. He hasn't come back. Not unusual behavior.

Back
Top Bottom