What's new

Studying in Japan?

Stonmon

Registered
9 Jan 2017
Hello everyone,

I am from Singapore and have just finished my International Baccalaureate with a score of 39. I intend to pursue a career in animation in Japan and just started a Japanese language course quite recently. In terms of Japanese proficiency, I have memorized both hiragana and katakana but am still learning grammar and vocabulary. While I am unable to pronounce the kanjis, I am able to recognize the meanings of 40% of them due to the similarities with Chinese characters. In about a month, I have to serve the army as part of my country's national service for two years. I intend to continue with my lessons during this time period while preparing my portfolio as we have time off during the weekends.

As most Japanese universities require N2 or N1 level of proficiency, I am concerned if two years of preparation is sufficient in reaching my goal. In addition, are there any major hurdles or obstacles I should be looking out for? Many universities seem to have additional exams for international students, but it seems unusual to have this for art courses.

Apologies in advance to those annoyed with these kinds of posts. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Stanley

As most Japanese universities require N2 or N1 level of proficiency, I am concerned if two years of preparation is sufficient in reaching my goal.

That all depends on how dedicated you are to your goal and how hard you work toward it. You have a double advantage over many people in that you have a head start on kanji and that you have two years between one school and the next.

Back
Top Bottom