What's new

Tang translation

No, my start with signatures began 30 years ago. Still finding out new stuff every day.
hey brother would you happen to know what this says . its junk blade but just curious what the shirasaya says(see attached)
tanto1.jpg
tanto2.jpg

First one says
大正七年戊午初夏
Taishō 7, tsuchinoe-uma (Chinese zodiac year), early summer
Second one says
藤原高平 寛永 兼?
Fujiwara Takahira Kan'ei Kane (and then probably Waka)

Last edited:
First one says
大正七年戊午初夏
Second one says
藤原高平 寛永 兼?
oh right on thank you!! :)

First one says
大正七年戊午初夏
Second one says
藤原高平 寛永 兼?
hey brother could you make these out? i will donate to forum :)
tang1.jpg
tang2.jpg

Top right is
肥前住播磨大掾藤原忠國
Hizenjū Harima Daijō Fujiwara Tadakuni
Top left looks like it is the same, but the photo becomes too blurry right about at the Fujiwara mark.
The one on the bottom looks like
備州長船囗光作
Bishū Osafune ? Mitsu saku
Could be 永 (naga)mitsu. Looks like there is a funky square mark on the tang were this kanji is.

Living and working in Japan, it is inevitable that you end up doing a lot of translation work, even if it is just for filling out paperwork or trying to figure out how to work the latest gadget in the house. I don't do it professionally, though. It would drive me nuts.

Living and working in Japan, it is inevitable that you end up doing a lot of translation work, even if it is just for filling out paperwork or trying to figure out how to work the latest gadget in the house. I don't do it professionally, though. It would drive me nuts.
damn lol . iwas just in japan last year november . i had so much fun. i stayed in shibuya i cant wait to go back

hey brother just curious to what these say bc the guy spelled everything wrong and i cant find any smith by the name he gave me
sword1.jpg
sword2.jpg

Yes, the right-hand picture has an address.
hey brother hope you had a good weekend and things are well. if you dont mind i would really like to know what these say(see attached). i will make sure to send more donations
scabbard1.jpg
tangkanji.jpg
to forum :)

昭和二十六年参月九日記 日本刀研究白水? 伊波白水
Written on March 9, 1951 Iba Hakusui, Japanese sword researcher

山城國長谷部國重 長サ壹尺六寸六分有之 時代應永頃三代ト極 白水鑑
Hasebe Kunishige in Yamashiro province, length 1shaku 6sun 6bu (approximately 51.8cm), around Ōei period (from 1394 to 1427) Kunishige the Third, appraised by Hakusui

常陸守宗重
Hitachi no kami Muneshige

昭和二十六年参月九日記 日本刀研究白水? 伊波白水
Written on March 9, 1951 Iba Hakusui, Japanese sword researcher

山城國長谷部國重 長サ壹尺六寸六分有之 時代應永頃三代ト極 白水鑑
Hasebe Kunishige in Yamashiro province, length 1shaku 6sun 6bu (approximately 51.8cm), around Ōei period (from 1394 to 1427) Kunishige the Third, appraised by Hakusui

常陸守宗重
Hitachi no kami Muneshige
oh man thank you very much! :)

I think the family name is Inami, and this would be the Inami family who still operates the Japan Sword shop in Toranomon. There is a picture of Inami Hakusui at their site here
http://www.japansword.co.jp/military.html
so it turns out he had a whole collection from the uncle when he was in japan . the uncle went and stayed japan for 20 years since the 40's and passed away a couple years ago and left all his stuff to the nephew/guy i got the sword from. so hthe nephew sold all the swords(see attached) but found the Kunishige in the storage
unnamed-3.jpg

so it turns out he had a whole collection from the uncle when he was in japan . the uncle went and stayed japan for 20 years since the 40's and passed away a couple years ago and left all his stuff to the nephew/guy i got the sword from. so hthe nephew sold all the swords(see attached) but found the Kunishige in the storage View attachment 24443
i think its kinda sad tho the nephew had no appreciation for the nihonto at all. his uncle collects them for 50 plus years and dies at 93 and then he just sends them out into the world lol

Back
Top Bottom