What's new

Translation of a conversation

Isn't it 入れ違?
My bad, yes.
Which do you mean, you don't understand the first line or you are not confident with the second? You need to show your question more clearly.
I mean 本人以上に嫌がってるな. 'いいか、俺は認めんからな!。。。' is the line right before it. There isn't enough context?

Last edited:
A:いいか、俺は認めんからな!。。。
B:本人以上に嫌がってるな

Well, there isn't really any "context" at all because we don't know who these people are or what they're talking about, but my impression from what you've shown us would be:

- There's another person, C, who has been asked to do something (or whatever)
- A says he won't stand for this.
- B snarkily comments that A is more upset about the situation than C (the person who is actually affected)

B snarkily comments that A is more upset about the situation than C (the person who is actually affected)
Actually it is B speaks before A make a comment (いいか、俺は認めんからな!). That's why I think 本人 is A.

So you're saying it's:

B:(says something)

In that case, please show us B's first line for context.

Considering that A has expressed his displeasure for something, B's 本人以上に嫌がってるな almost certainly means "you're more upset about it than the 本人 is", in which case the 本人 cannot be A. ("You hate [it] more than yourself" doesn't make logical sense.)

The 本人 _could_ be B, if B has expressed his displeasure for something that affected him personally, and then A got even more upset about it (despite not being directly affected) than B himself did.

In that case, please show us B's first line for context.
C: そうね、確認したい事もあるし
B:了解。はいはい、みんな、持ち場について
(A is the captain of the ship who gives order, and B is the vice-captain)

Last edited:
Is there another person who doesn't want to obey the order other than those three people?

What is 確認したい事 referring to? Isn't there someone who doesn't want to go to the place, for instance?

Ah, that? It is another story, something like the duty they've to do to protect a barrier, and they finished clearing the enemy who want to destroy that and report to the government. I don't think it is related at all, though.

You're going to have to give us more context.

A is clearly upset about something, and B is clearly commenting that A is more upset than some unspecified 本人, i.e. a person affected by the situation. This may be B himself (his はいはい~ suggests that he's not too enthusiastic about whatever they're about to do), or may be some third party (obviously not C, who clearly is in favor of whatever they're about to do, because there's something he wants to look into).

You must be missing something in the scene up to that point. These lines aren't happening in a vacuum.

Alright, although it is really long. Here is the whole conversation. I'll give my translation too (I'm not sure about it).

A: すまんな。。。私達が、もう少し早く来ていれば、防げたかもしれん
Sorry... If we came a bit more earlier, we could have protected it.
B: 今更言っても仕方あるまい
It is useless to talk now.
C: 。。。誰かさんが、もう少ししっかりしててくれれば、防げたかもしれないのだがな
If Mr.''someone'' tried harder a bit then we probably could have protected it.
B: シモーヌ、あんた事を言っておるぞ。言わせておいていいのか?
Simone, I've said ''such thing'' before. Are you gonna let me say it again?
D: 。。。ティアン、あんたの事だよ
...Tian, that is your business.
B: おう、拙僧の事であったか。これはしたり。それほどまでにわしを買ってくれておるとは知らなんだ。あー、シャリアン殿、でしたな。
Hey, that was a matter of me? Oh, damn! Even until such degree you don't know how to appreciate me. Right, Cherian-dono?
C: 前向きというか、都合の悪い事は聞こえていないというか。。。変わった方だな
I'm not sure if you're positive or you can't hear the inconvernient... A strange person.
B: ティアンと呼んでくだされ。いやいや、知らぬ間に美しい方が増えたものよなぁ
Please call me ''Tian''. No no, the more you don't know the more beautiful you are.
E: 相変わらず、煩悩塗れのお坊さん
As ever, a monk covered with lust.
F: ところでティアン、内閣法制局との折衝は終わったの?
By the way, Tian-san, you finished contacting the cabinet legislation bureau?
B: まったく問題なしですぞ、テュッティどの。完全に解決してきましたわい
There is no problem at all. I came here after solving everything.
F: あら、そうなの。早かったわね
Eh, really? That was fast.
B: 法解釈など時のムダ。あるものをあるがままに受け入れよと説法をかましてきましたぞ
There is no time for legal interpretation. I just feed them with preaching: receive thing the way it is.
F: 。。。煙に巻いたのね?
...You confused them?
B: ウソも方便といいますからな
Because they say '' circumstances may justify a lie''
E: お坊さんがそれを言っちゃダメでしょ
Isn't that forbidden for a monk?
B: 何を言うか。法華経にも三乗は一乗の方便であると出ておる
What are you saying? Even in Lotus Sutra there are lies every one rhythm of three rhythms.
E: 。。。口先三寸じゃ、ティアンさんにはかなわないなぁ
...Tian-san is unbeatable in glib tongue.
B: それを言うなら舌先三寸よ
You have a glib tongue if you say that.
C: まったく。。。口のまわるお人だな
Good grief... A smooth-tone person.
B: 拙僧、口だけではござらん。実力も伴っての口上手よ。シャリアン殿、と仰ったな?
I'm not only has mouth. Smooth talking follows real ability. You said that, right, Cherian-dono?
C: あ、ああ、そうだが。。。
Y, yeah but...
B: いかがかな?我がタントラの極意を身をもって体感してみる気はござらんか?
How about it? Do you have interest in experience the innermost secret of my tantra with your own body?
C: たんとら?
Tantra?
E: 。。。下ネタよ、下ネタ
It is a dirty joke.
G: おほん!私の娘に何か御用なら、まず私に話を通してもらおうか?
Monk! If you have business with my daughter, you have to ask me first.
B: 。。。娘、とな?
...Daughter?
C: 。。。不肖の父親だ
...An unworthy dad.
B: おお、左様でしたか、艦長殿。いや、ここはお義父上と呼ばせて頂きましょうか
Oh, so that's it, Captain? No, should I call you father-in-law?
G: 。。。義父だと?許さん、許さんぞ!こんなおっさんに娘はやれん!
...Father? Can't be forgiven! I'll never send my daughter to that old man!
B: 拙僧は25歳じゃい!
I'm 25!
H: あー、もう、やかましい!ここでの用事は済んだんだ。早いとこ王都に戻ろうぜ
Ah, too noisy! Let's end the nonsenses here and return to the capital.
K: そうね、確認したい事もあるし
Right. Since there is a thing I want to confirm.
C: 了解。はいはい、みんな、持ち場について
Roger. Ok everyone, return to your position.
G: いいか、俺は認めんからな!。。。
Is that alright? I haven't approve that!
C: 本人以上に嫌がってるな
?

Last edited:
Now it's finally clear. 本人 refers to the captain's daughter. C says that the captain(= G) dislikes the monk's proposal to her than herself.

B: シモーヌ、あんた事を言っておるぞ。言わせておいていいのか?
Simone, I've said ''such thing'' before. Are you gonna let me say it again?
あん
The subject of 言う is C, not the speaker.

B: おう、拙僧の事であったか。これはしたり。それほどまでにわしを買ってくれておるとは知らなんだ。あー、シャリアン殿、でしたな。
Hey, that was a matter of me? Oh, damn! Even until such degree you don't know how to appreciate me. Right, Cherian-dono?
The subject of 知らなんだ is the speaker, not "you".
シャリアン殿、でしたな is confirming the name; you are Charian, if my memory is correct, or like that.

B: ティアンと呼んでくだされ。いやいや、知らぬ間に美しい方が増えたものよなぁ
Please call me ''Tian''. No no, the more you don't know the more beautiful you are.
It's not "the more~, the more...". The subject of 知らぬ is the speaker.

B: 法解釈など時のムダ。あるものをあるがままに受け入れよと説法をかましてきましたぞ
There is no time for legal interpretation. I just feed them with preaching: receive thing the way it is.
Doing legal interpretation is a waste of time.

B: 拙僧、口だけではござらん。実力も伴っての口上手よ。シャリアン殿、と仰ったな?
I'm not only has mouth. Smooth talking follows real ability. You said that, right, Cherian-dono?
The same meaning as シャリアン殿、でしたな above.

G: いいか、俺は認めんからな!。。。
Is that alright? I haven't approve that!
いいか means "Listen!/Remember!", and he says he don't approve the proposal.

Yes, B (ティアン) is flirting with C (シャリアン, the captain's daughter), and C (the daughter) is commenting on how her father (B, the captain) is more upset about this than she (C, the actual one who's being hit on) is.

You have a couple other (minor, perhaps, but notable) misinterpretations here:

>B: シモーヌ、あんた事を言っておるぞ。言わせておいていいのか?
>Simone, I've said ''such thing'' before. Are you gonna let me say it again?
Is this a typo for あんたのこと? Either way you have the subject wrong.
This means "Simone, he's talking about you. Are you just going to let him say that (i.e. insult you like that)?"

>D: 。。。ティアン、あんたの事だよ
>...Tian, that is your business.
This is, "Tian, he's talking about <i>you</i>" (because Tian had just suggested the captain is talking about D, or Simone)

>いやいや、知らぬ間に美しい方が増えたものよなぁ
>No no, the more you don't know the more beautiful you are.
The subject here isn't "you", and there's no notion of "the more."
知らぬ間に (or 知らないうちに) is an idiomatic expression, and the nuance here is more like "Wow, before I knew it, another beauty has joined us."

There seem to be more slight misinterpretations here, but those are some of the major ones. Either that, or it's just a matter of English expression (I know English isn't your native language and thus you might be understanding better than it appears to be).

In any event, I hope I'm not being insulting. Just trying to clear up some of the points that (it seems) might be inhibiting your understanding of the scene as a whole.

青空や星空をバックにして、笑顔で浮かんでるシーン。キラーンって光って
What is the meaning of で here? I google and it only brings 笑顔が浮かんでる. が makes much more sense than で.

笑顔 is not the subject of 浮かんでる. で indicates the state, as in 裸足で歩く, 一人で作る, 手ぶらで(= without bringing anything)行く. It's similar in meaning to 笑って/笑いながら "with/while smiling."

リューネ。。。握力何キロあるんだ?
Ryune... How many kilo can you grip?
さあ?測定器ぶっ壊した事はあるけど
Well, I've broke the measuring device.
。。。ふう
...Hmm.
な、何よ?あ。。。もかして、その。。。引いちゃった
Ah... Could it be, that pull?
いや、今更ながら感心してただけだ。威嚇ってのも効果はあるんだな
No, I just now admire you. Even if you threat them it is effective.
ホントに?あたし、引かれてない?
Really? I'm, not charming?
だから、そう言ってんだろ。お前の怪力は、腕相撲見た時に思い知ってんだよ
That's why, I said so right? I already knew your super-human strength at the time I saw the arm wrestling.
そ、そう。。。良かった
Phew.

>さあ?測定器ぶっ壊した事はあるけど
>Well, I've broke the measuring device.

Can't quite tell from your translation if you understand this, but she's not referring to breaking "the" (i.e. a specific) measuring device, but rather saying she's broken such a device in the past (with the implication being that's why she can't give an exact measurement).

>な、何よ?あ。。。もかして、その。。。引いちゃった
>Ah... Could it be, that pull?
This is an idiomatic use of 引く that means "to be turned off" or "pull back (in disgust)"

>いや、今更ながら感心してただけだ。威嚇ってのも効果はあるんだな
>No, I just now admire you. Even if you threat them it is effective.
Hmm... 感心 here is closer to "be impressed", and the も doesn't really mean "even."
The nuance is closer to "No. (I should have noticed/said this earlier, but) I'm just impressed is all. Intimidation (lit. this thing called intimidation) can be effective too (i.e. in addition to other methods), huh." (I'm assuming リューネ intimidated someone with her strength.)

>ホントに?あたし、引かれてない?
>Really? I'm, not charming?
This is the passive form of the idiomatic 引く above, so it means pretty much the opposite of this.

This is an idiomatic use of 引く that means "to be turned off" or "pull back (in disgust)"
Could you be more detailed about this. I mean: what is the object of 引いちゃった? I guess something is omitted after その. 測定器, perhaps?

>ホントに?あたし、引かれてない?
>Really? I'm, not charming?
This is the passive form of the idiomatic 引く above, so it means pretty much the opposite of this.
Since I can't understand the sentence above, I don't understand 引かれてない either.

I'm assuming リューネ intimidated someone with her strength
Right.

Last edited:
Could you be more detailed about this. I mean: what is the object of 引いちゃった? I guess something is omitted after その. 測定器, perhaps?
引く is intransitive. There is no object.
その is an interjection, expressing hesitancy such like "er".

I think you need to use a bit more common sense in interpreting these conversations.

Why would the 測定器 be the referent of "being turned off" or "pulling back in disgust"?
Why would リューネ say "I'm not charming?" after the other guy just said he was impressed with her?

Japanese speakers don't just spout random gibberish at each other, so if your translation of a line doesn't make sense, you need to ask yourself "what am I misunderstanding?" and approach it a different way.

Here's a hint:
リューネ is worried that the guy she's talking to might be turned off by her physical strength (because maybe she thinks he prefers more "feminine" women).

(This idiomatic use of 引く has nothing to do with 辞書を引く. Just because 引く can be transitive in some of its usages, it doesn't mean that it is here.)

(This is some lines at the beginning of a conversation)
A: 。。。ふう。何ていうか、すごかったね
...Hmm. You know, magnificient.
B: ああ、あれが後光が差すっていうヤツだな
Yeah, that is the thing (/person?) called the halo shines.
(If it is a person, I'd translate it as: Yeah, she is a saint)
A: ああいうのも、プラーナなのかな
I wonder if that is also prana?
B: かもな。治癒術も使ってたみたいだし
Maybe. Because she seems using also medical treatment.
C: 孤児院もあったよ。身寄りのない子供達を預かってるんだね
There was also orphanage. It is the place to keep the children that have no relative.
A: ああやって、困ってる人達の力に直接なれるのって、いいな。。。
That way, it can become directly helpful for people who are trouble, so good...

Back
Top Bottom