What's new

Which field to study in and work in the future?

なにこれ

Registered
2 May 2018
First of all I plan to study either in my country or Japan in the future but my final aim would be to work in Japan afterwards. Does anyone happen to know of any career fields that have prospect in the future? From what I know at the moment, it seems to me that the science and technology field is the most prospects.

I've studied in the science stream for the past 2 years in high school so I have a solid foundation of science and it would be great if there were related fields that will remain relevant in the near future. I would probably not mind venturing into humanities if the job demand for humanities-related work fields is higher. Basically I would prioritize studying in science-related fields over humanities-related fields.

I've tried looking around the net and have not found a solid and concrete answer to my question. Thus I was just wondering if anyone from this forum has any knowledge regarding my question. I'm currently deciding on what I should do next in my tertiary studies (pre-u at the moment to be specific) but I don't have a specific interest in anything so I decided to just pursue the most sough-after field in Japan.

I would be really grateful if someone would help me with this. Thanks in advance. q.q

I

The ability to read and speak Japanese is one area to work on and checking into what type of visa you qualify for is something else to check on.

Computer programming: data mining, machine learning, cryptocurrencies, network engineering
Finance: international finance, IFRS15, tax compliance, transfer pricing
International law
Medicine/Pharmaceuticals
These are the things that will continue to be relevant for a while. Humanities are good if you aspire to be a professor in your field, but other than that the job prospects are dicey. That isn't to say you can't find decent work, but companies rarely look for poli-sci or history majors.
And yes, fluency or near-fluency in Japanese is an incredibly big bonus - and not just for your career.

The ability to read and speak Japanese is one area to work on and checking into what type of visa you qualify for is something else to check on.
What do hiring companies look into for Japanese language skills? Is it mainly JLPT qualifications or do they put more of an emphasis on actual speaking and reading abilities?

Computer programming: data mining, machine learning, cryptocurrencies, network engineering
Finance: international finance, IFRS15, tax compliance, transfer pricing
International law
Medicine/Pharmaceuticals
These are the things that will continue to be relevant for a while. Humanities are good if you aspire to be a professor in your field, but other than that the job prospects are dicey. That isn't to say you can't find decent work, but companies rarely look for poli-sci or history majors.
And yes, fluency or near-fluency in Japanese is an incredibly big bonus - and not just for your career.
Regarding medicine, I read on some other forums that to be a doctor in Japan you need to pass a written Japan test of some sort even if you're a qualified doctor in your own country. Would you happen to know anything regarding this?

As for Japanese I've ben studying it for close to 4 years now and have passed N3 recently. I'll definitely take heed of your advice and continue trying to improve my Japanese.

First of all I plan to study either in my country or Japan in the future but my final aim would be to work in Japan afterwards.
It's nice that you are planning so far into the future. Could you explain why you seem so set on living and working in Japan, and whether you have had any experience here?

I've studied in the science stream
This is far too general to make a clear idea what interests you. Can you pin it down a bit?

As has been mentioned, unless you teach English, you're going to need a fairly high fluency in Japanese -- written, spoken, and reading. Look at the Career Cross postings of jobs to see more details.

It's nice that you are planning so far into the future. Could you explain why you seem so set on living and working in Japan, and whether you have had any experience here?
Well the thing that made me want to work and live in Japan was the idol culture, especially those who sing. I've also been to Japan for a week before for a vacation and I really enjoyed being there. I could ellaborate more on this if you'd like.

This is far too general to make a clear idea what interests you. Can you pin it down a bit?
I took Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my science subjects in high school and I enjoyed learning them. However I'm not sure which exact field I would plan to pursue but I were to choose one right now it would be either medicine or phramaceuticals. I'd say that I'm less interested in Physics so engineering would probably be lower down the list if I had to choose.

As has been mentioned, unless you teach English, you're going to need a fairly high fluency in Japanese -- written, spoken, and reading. Look at the Career Cross postings of jobs to see more details.
As for teaching English, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I've checked out the JET Program before and would probably try to apply for it in the future if I am not working in Japan already. Anyways I'll check out Career Cross right now.

Well the thing that made me want to work and live in Japan was the idol culture, especially those who sing.
You can attend Japanese idol concerts as a tourist (Malaysians apparently don't even need a visa). Why go as far as moving there?

I've also been to Japan for a week before for a vacation and I really enjoyed being there.
One week is hardly enough time to get a detailed impression of the country, don't you think? Especially not when it comes to work culture.

You can attend Japanese idol concerts as a tourist (Malaysians apparently don't even need a visa). Why go as far as moving there?
I wouldn't say that I plan to move there just because I'll be able to attend idol concerts. I'd say that idol concerts are just a bonus for me. Rather than that, the main thing that got me interested is the infrastructure and safe public environment. I would definitely agree if you said that these are cliché reasons but for me these are the exact reasons why I would move there.

One week is hardly enough time to get a detailed impression of the country, don't you think? Especially not when it comes to work culture.
I would agree with your point to a certain extent. However, I'm aware of karoushi and the work culture that involves long overtime hours. Thus I would definitely look out for these issues if I were to work there.

Well the thing that made me want to work and live in Japan was the idol culture, especially those who sing. I've also been to Japan for a week before for a vacation and I really enjoyed being there. I could ellaborate more on this if you'd like.
Please do.
1) what did you see and do in a week? Seems very unlikely that it would give you anything substantial to base moving here on.
2) Idol culture. Whatever floats your boat, but again, that seems pretty thin for deciding to move to any foreign land.

I wouldn't say that I plan to move there just because I'll be able to attend idol concerts. I'd say that idol concerts are just a bonus for me. Rather than that, the main thing that got me interested is the infrastructure and safe public environment.
Now you're changing your story. C'mon. Japan has good transportation system, running water, etc. And it's pretty much a safe place. Is that all? Other countries have those things, too.

I took Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my science subjects in high school and I enjoyed learning them. However I'm not sure which exact field I would plan to pursue but I were to choose one right now it would be either medicine or phramaceuticals.
Both are huge fields. I've been in the latter. Have you spoken to any guidance counselors at your school or seen any trade shows, both to give you a better idea what to expect for specific jobs and their requirements?

I'm aware of karoushi and the work culture that involves long overtime hours. Thus I would definitely look out for these issues if I were to work there.
Exactly how would you do that? I don't think you realize the obligations at work here.

I stopped taking him seriously as soon as I learned he was considering being a doctor or an ALT.

Regarding medicine, ...
Yes, you heard correctly. It is incredibly difficult to pass the necessary tests to become a doctor in Japan (even if you have those qualifications in your home country). I merely added it to the list because it is indeed a field that will be in demand in the future.

Yes, you heard correctly. It is incredibly difficult to pass the necessary tests to become a doctor in Japan (even if you have those qualifications in your home country). I merely added it to the list because it is indeed a field that will be in demand in the future.
Ah okay, I see.

Anyone who knows english, japanese plus another native language is bound to find some good jobs, specially if you majored in some engineering.

Personally i'd recommend you to live there for a while before aiming for full time employment. At least thats what i will do.

Back
Top Bottom