Who Named Japan - Japan?

Discussion in 'All Things Japanese' started by Akira Le, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Akira Le

Akira Le Registered

Just curious in doing research on Japan - if the country was/is officially Nippon/Niho - who decided to call them Japan - and what's the consenus on that name in Japan?
    Any ideas? Thanks if you have the time.

2. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

3. Kami Nana

Kami Nana Registered

Well, that certainly explains how "Japan" came about as a word/name...but it doesn't explain how the Japanese, themselves, feel about this foreign designation for their country(and it's people/culture, for that matter).

4. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder how Chinese people feel about "China", how Sri Lanka people feel about "Ceylon", or how British people feel about "Igirisu", which is the Japanese name for the UK. Personally, I, a native Japanese, don't feel anything about "Japan". I've never thought it should be called Nihon or Nippon at all. It's just called so in English.

• Thank you Thank you x 1
    • List
  5. Kami Nana

Kami Nana Registered

Hey, I had even wondered how Germany was called as such...when isn't the real name for it "Deutchland"(I know this isn't right...) or something to that effect?

Thanks for the insight...though, I'm kinda surprised Japan had alternate names for other countries. Like that example with Germany I gave earlier, isn't it called something like what I had given by Japanese people rather than "Germany"? Or America is "Amerika"?

6. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

Germany is "Doitsu" (from Deutsch), Neitherlands is "Oranda" (from Holland), Korea is "Kankoku" (from Japanese pronunciation of the kanji name 韓国 for Korea) and so on. (And yes, the US is アメリカ "Amerika".)