What's new

yojijukugo(4 character idioms)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone takes time to learn yojijukugo:

Yojijukugo - Wikipedia
yojijukugo

Basically I was wondering if it is best to just learn the most popular as you go along or is there any benefit in sitting down to study them.

If you ever intend to challenge the Kanji Kentei, they are a section of the exam beginning with level 4. I learned about six hundred of them through the course of studying for level 2.

There are some that are widely known and used, but for the most part they will whiz right over the heads of native speakers of Japanese just as high and fast as they do over the heads of foreign learners. Absolutely bloody useless things for daily use.

If you see or hear one used, learn it if you like. The fact that somebody else used it means it is likely in general use and will be understood.

Here's the problem:

If a native speaker drags an obscure one into conversation, people may think he is just super-smart and using something they don't know. If a foreign speaker drags an obscure one into conversation, people just assume you are mangling something else and will lump it in with all your other mistakes.

Learn them if you have to. Learn them if you want to. Just don't expect to get a whole lot of mileage out of them.

こんにちは!Hi Everyone. This is a site I built to randomly show a yojijukugo(4 character idioms) as well as show the correct way to write the Kanji. I would be interested to hear from anyone if they spot any mistakes etc. I don't make any money from it, just a personal project.

yojijukugo

I moved your posts. You should reply to Mike-san's feedback before making a new thread...

Back
Top Bottom