Your privacy is critically important to us. JREF follows a few fundamental principles:
Your Personal Information
- You control whether your personal information in your profile is displayed publicly.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone except to comply with the law or protect our rights.
- We don’t store personal information provided by you to us on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of our services, e.g. invoices for services. These are required by any business for the purposes of accounting to tax authorities.
- IP addresses are held temporarily for the purpose of identifying abuse of forum rules (e.g. duplicate accounts).
What Cookies Are
Cookies are small files stored on your computer by your web browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox) at the request of a site you're viewing. This allows the site you're viewing to remember things about you, such as your preferences and history or to keep you logged in.
Cookies may be stored on your computer for a short time (such as only while your browser is open) or for an extended period of time, even years. Cookies not set by this site will not be accessible to us.
Our Cookie Usage
- Registration and maintaining your preferences. This includes ensuring that you can stay logged in and keeping the site in the language or appearance that you requested.
- Analytics. This allows us to determine how people are using the site and improve it.
- Advertising cookies (possibly third-party). If this site displays advertising, cookies may be set by the advertisers to determine who has viewed an ad or similar things. These cookies may be set by third parties, in which case this site has no ability to read or write these cookies.
- Other third-party cookies for things like Facebook or Twitter sharing. These cookies will generally be set by the third-party independently, so this site will have no ability to access them.
Managing your cookies and cookie preferences must be done from within your browser's options/preferences. Here is a list of guides on how to do this for popular browser software:
All messages you post are viewable by anyone. If forum content is viewable by members only please note that:
- Anyone can become a registered member and view.
- A members only forum may at some time be changed to viewable by non-members
Personal Conversations (PCs)
Please note that while personal conversations are not visible publically or to other members of the forum (except to those people in the conversation) it is possible for forum and/or server administrators to access conversations which they would only do under exceptional circumstances (see below).
For this reason JREF does not actually call them "Private" – although they are just as private as on any other forum software or social network.
Please note that the ability for admin to view personal messages is common to any similar forum software. Our policy is not to read personal conversations or allow any third party access unless exceptional circumstances require it, however you are advised to be aware that nothing you say in personal conversations on this, or other forums, is truly private. If you want to discuss completely private matters with other members, then you are advised to do so via email, telephone or other forms of communication.
Include but are not limited to:
- Requests from law enforcement agencies with the appropriate warrants.
- Any action needed to be taken by admin to ensure the legality and security of the forum, for example if there are good grounds to suspect fraudulent activity.
If you have concerns or questions about any aspect of our privacy policies, please do not hesitate to contact us. We welcome your feedback.
Last updated: 15 April 2018